But this is why those historians would be wrong, why all those scholars who try to explain away the Great Awakening are wrong, why my senior thesis was wrong. They recognize that conversion is complicated, that it is about family, and geography, and politics, and psychology, and economies. They just forget that it is also about God.
-- Lauren F. Winner, Girl Meets God
- email exchanges between close friends, sharing the hurting and beautiful places
- learning to step forward in active faith, not active apathy
- that I still get that feeling in the core of my stomach, like a spiritual compass, when I know things are very wrong and not of Him
- being commissioned to paint the largest work I have been privileged to produce to date, all splattered grace and drying problems and acrylic-caked hands
- Sister Sophia, who helped me turn the tabbed pages during Vespers, and laughed with the mirth of angels as she cooked
- life, laughter, and some wonderful rants about how we read the Bible with Melissa over some of the best albeit forgotten cheese grits I have ever eaten, all the while being reminded that there is still hope, that there is still a reason to be, to fight, to write
- Goat Cheese and Cognac Fig ice cream, Sweet Corn and Black Raspberries ice cream, Young Gouda and Vodka Cranberry ice cream, and essentially some of the weirdest, wildest, most delicious and ridiculously expensive ice creams you could ever think of ...
Posts, websites, trinkets, and the Internet week in review revue: (short this week, as I have been away)
- for being one the best--somewhat undiscovered--writers I have the remarkable privilege to read, Micha with Because grace is brave and it always wins (seriously, someone get her a book deal already!)
- for articulating a number of feelings I have myself, especially as I feel on the brink of beginning this journey, and being a true mentor in how this path should go, Rachel with Scattered thoughts on my life in the Christian “industry”
- for grace. for bravery. for things that can't be spoken. Tamara with A Letter to My Rapist