Today, I bring you the ten last books. This has been a lot of fun. These are the books that I used on a daily basis. I've put, parenthetically, a brief explanation next to each. What books do you use daily? Have you read any of these?
- New American Standard Bible (It's years and years old, written in, falling apart; I'll cry when I have to replace it.)
- Baptist Hymnal 1991 (they have all the best songs)
- The Hymnal 1982, according to the use of The Episcopal Church (they have all the other best songs)
- Food and Faith by Norma Wirzba (the current academic book I'm reading)
- Blue Nights by Joan Didion (the current non-academic book I'm reading)
- The Treatise On The Divine Nature: Summa Theologiae I, 1-13 by St. Thomas Aquinas (in the style of Flannery O'Connor, I read fifteen minutes of Thomas every night before I go to bed, or at least try to)
- Glimpses of Grace: Daily Thoughts and Reflections by Madeleine L'Engle (one of my daily devotionals)
- 1979 Book of Common Prayer and the New Revised Standard Version Bible with Apocrypha (morning and evening prayer bound up, the Scripture, and the apocryphal texts for when they're the readings appointed on some days. It's actually only tangible apocrypha I own.)
- The Monastic Diurnal: Or Day Hours of the Monastic Breviary According to the Holy Rule of St. Benedict with Additional Rubrics and Devotions for Its Recitation in Accordance with the Book of Common Prayer (seriously, that's what it's called. But it's wonderful. I don't pray all of the hours every day, but some days, well, this won't make a whole lot of sense, but I just need to cross myself and say Glory be to God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever world without end. Alleluia. Amen.)
- My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers (my counterbalance devotional to Madeleine)
I'm joining Sarah Bessey and showing 10 Books a Day for a Week.
Share your own favorites on your blog, and post your link in the comments, or just let me know what you think or recommend!
Sunday: 10 books that formed my faith
Tuesday: 10 books that are classics
Wednesday: 10 books that I wish the world would read
Saturday: 10 books that I use daily